Tuesday, January 18, 2011

More on Disney

This will be brief..(it is part of my therapy today....)
I just wanted to share a few special moments during the marathon that I did not mention in my original post. These are a few of the things that stood out and made it possible to get through all those miles (although it still seems somewhat like a blur and a dream!!).

There were many who wore banners in memory and / or in honor of loved ones. I think the ones that stood out were parents who were their in memory of or in support of their children who have / had some type of disease. So not only have these people lived with and endured watching their children with various debilitating or life threatening diseases, but they have managed to train for a very grueling 26.2 mile run!! What unconditional and selfless love....

The next person that stuck out, was the man I mentioned with the saying "if you think running 26.2 is tough, you should ask my mom about her chemo treatment!".  What else can I say about that one....made the next few miles look a little different!!

Then there was the gentleman named "Hal"....at least that is what his shirt said. We had passed each other at many points during miles 10 - 26, and thankfully at one point I took my earphones out so that I could enjoy my surroundings. When I did, I heard his story as he told it to another gentleman, and it went like this....I am running for Team Fox, you know the foundation that supports parkinsons research (Michael J. Fox). At this point, the gentlemen were behind me, and as they came around me, I noticed the gentleman had an obvious limp when he ran, and held his arms in an awkward position. It was then I heard him say that he had been diagnosed with Parkinsons and had never run prior to his diagnosis!!

It was also amazing to see all the people there, volunteers, employees, and even people that were visiting the park that were cheering for all of the runners. Our number tags had our first names on them and it was amazing how many strangers called us by name and cheered us through the miles!! What an awesome push that was to get us through to the end.

I think if there was one key thing I learned during this process, it's that in everything you do in life, you must first make up your mind to do it, go through the training or whatever thing it takes to get you prepared, and it is essential that you surround yourself with people who will support you, be positive, and will cheer you on through the process!!

This post is in memory of my baby boy and best buddy, Nicholas Pierce-Ketchum April 22, 1998-January 17, 2011. This is in his favorite place....under the coffee table "hiding" at the farm!!

No comments:

Post a Comment