Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Article: Non-Runner to Athlete!

Non-Runner to Athlete!
How does it happen?
(part 1 of ??)

Okay, so I did not do a lot of research before jumping into the world of exercise / running, I just did it. I knew that I wanted to keep the weight off that I had just lost and wanted to break the historic cycle of weight off / weight on. I don’t want this specific blog to be about my journey specifically, but about the things that I learned along the way that hopefully will help others transition more easily than I did into the world of running.

First I have to tell you that most of the articles I have read about running, have been about how it is the cheapest sport to enter and “all you need is a good pair of running shoes”. While that is such a true statement, it is also not all there is to starting a successful running program. The correct part is that you really do need a good pair or running shoes.

Having a good pair of running shoes does NOT mean that you must purchase the most expensive pair of shoes, but that you buy running shoes that are appropriate for your feet. We all have different foot shapes, sizes, arches and strides and it is extremely important to take these things into account when choosing a shoe. From personal experience, I highly recommend going to a running specialty store that will help you choose a shoe based on all of these factors and on how you run. They place you on special equipment that shows the arch shape and pressure points that are specific to how you stand. Then they record you running on a treadmill to assess how your feet land when running. It is after this analysis that they will make certain recommendations for shoes that are best for you. Had I done this early on, I could have prevented a great deal of leg pain and recovery time that happened as a result of buy an shoe that “others” said were great running shoes. A special note, especially for females who are shoe size and fashion conscious, it is not about the look of the shoe, it is about the fit, AND you need to choose a size that is at least one half to one full size larger than what you wear in a regular shoe. Yes, this was a tough one for me!!

Other than shoes, and until you get further into running (running longer distance) the clothing part is really easy! Run in clothing that is comfortable. If you find you like shorts and a t-shirt, then that is what you should wear, comfort is the key when getting started. Also remember that layering is very important if you are running in cold weather.

Now that we have shoes and clothing out of the way, the next most important step is to start moving!! Because you don’t want to start out your program in a negative light, by getting an injury on your first trek out, you should not start out your program by running 5 miles at your fastest pace possible. The key, which I learned much later in my running program is that it is about “time on feet” (comes from my running buddy Donna!!). Learning to run is not about starting out running as far and as fast as you can. That actually is the quickest way to a very bad injury. It is about setting goals and starting out at a pace that works for your body and prevents injury.

When starting your program, it is important to remember that you should start out walking and then add in the running. If it is the first week or two of your program and you are having difficulty just walking, then just keep walking. You can actually make improvements by just increasing the pace at which you walk. Instead of taking 20 minutes to walk a mile, try walking fast enough so that the mile only takes you 18 minutes, and then increase your pace from there. Then when you are ready to add in some running, you start out walking for 3-5 minutes then run for 10-20 seconds. Each week you can decrease the amount of minutes that you walk and increase the time that you run.

Please listen to your body as you run and increase your running time when your body tells you it is ready. You must also remember that your mind will tell you that you can’t, that is why you must listen to your body. I remember when I started walking and tried to run, and a 10 second jog felt like an eternity. My lungs hurt, my legs hurt and I felt like running was going to be impossible. I would have never imagined running for one minute straight!! But if you do it right and listen to your body, you will be running for longer periods of time before you realize it!! Now…I am not saying don’t ever push it, if you don’t push it sometimes you will never progress. What I am saying is there is a fine line between pushing for progress and pushing for injury. Hence the reason you listen to your body!

The next article will be about mind over body (reality). How to train your mind to be your friend instead of your worst running enemy.

**Disclaimer: These articles are written strickly based on my personal experiences with running and are in no means based on any scientific research that I have done :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment