Friday, March 25, 2011

Pushing through!! Philippians 4:13....

Just as in many parts of our lives, running and/ or exercise can come with challenges. It is those challenges, and how I handle them though, that help to make me stronger!! If I did not have challenges, how would I ever improve or grow....right? But man....the challenges are not fun!!

In my running experiences, I have so much trouble...no I HATE the first 3 miles of my run! If I could start out at mile 3.1 I would be a happy camper...but I know that it is those first 3 miles that gets my body ready for the next 3+ miles and that I must endure those first miles in order to be ready for what is to come. If I don't endure the first 3 miles then my heart, lungs, and legs will not be ready for the next miles. I guess it is that way with a lot of things  in life...it is the start of something that can be most difficult, then you settle in and are able to push through the rest.

I am not certain why I hate those first 3 miles, but I can tell you that it is during those miles that self doubt, leg cramps, foot pain, etc. are so strong that I just want to throw in the towel and quit. BUT, I don't...I push through, knowing that things will get better. Then, miraculously at mile 3.01 I get this surge of energy, everything stops hurting, and I LOVE running again! How familiar does this sound? There are many things in life that have felt the same way....but I pushed through and am better for having done it. If I did not have to push myself through those tough 3 miles, then running would be easy and how would I ever grow from it? Sounds a little bit like "real life" huh....if we don't experience challenges and if everything were easy peasy....how would we ever make improvements on who we are??

P.S. How do I push through? Quoting scripture, (especially Phil. 4:13 and Isaiah 40:31), taking my headphones out and listening to the beautiful sounds God has given us in nature, challenging myself to make it a little further, to the next lamp post, curve, sign, etc.....

No comments:

Post a Comment