Saturday, December 11, 2010

Learning curves:

I think that in training for a marathon, I have learned that some of the same types of lessons  learned and feelings I have felt are the same feelings we all have during the various phases we all experience throughout our lives. The beginning or end of each phase brings on feelings of anxiety, sadness, gladness, and uncertainty, but if we have truly learned from our "training" and experiences, we can move into the new phase with confidence know that we have done our best to prepare for this new phase.

So why do I bring this up now? Because, I can not believe that a small part of my journey, that has consummed a large part of my life over the last 5 months is quickly coming to fruition. I can not believe that in less than 4 weeks I will be one day away from running in my FIRST marathon!!! And, I have very mixed emotions about the entire thing!

First I am anxious about the run since next week is my last long run (20 miles) before the big day (you have to taper down your long runs for 2 weeks before the marathon...so they say :o). I guess the anxiety comes from not knowing how I will really do, wanting to set a time frame to complete the race in as close to 5 and 1/2 hours as possible, but then really just want to make it to the finish line in the upright position *smile*.

My next emotion would have to be some sadness and glad that all the training I have been doing will slow down. I have learned A LOT about myself over the last 5 months with what it has taken to train for a marathon.  I don't know how any person can keep up with the training required for marathons on a consistant basis, but there are many who do it for years on end. For me, it has required a lot of both mental and physical perparation to get to this point. So I will be sad to leave behind some of the training, but will be glad to have some normalcy for a while. Don't get me wrong, I will keep running, but think I might just stick to 5k, 10k, and half marathons in the future! BUT, who knows..I have been told that I might just feel very differently after running the first marathon..we shall see!

Now, on to what I have learned about myself over the last 5 months of training. Most of it has to do with getting and sustaining the motivation to train (perserverance). It is about putting miles on your shoes / moving your feet, even when your mind and body tells you that you are too tired or don't feel well. And what I learned from this, it that I feel so much better after moving than I would have if I had stayed inside and taken a nap or been a couch potato. Not only do I have more energy, but I have enjoyed the beautiful world that God has created for us, and potentially solved all the worlds problems by the time I am done *laugh*!!

Patience as come from learning to deal with things like injury, weather conditions, and life in general. When in training mode, it is hard to slow down and nurse an injury, but I learned the hard way that is important if you want to keep running. And, I know you all will find it hard to believe that I have control issues.....LOL...I don't like it when things like injury, rain, travels, sick pets, etc. get in the way of my training plan!! BUT, I have learned that I am not always in control (that was a hard comment to swallow!!) and that it is okay to make changed and adaptations to the plan....BAH...who knew!!! This was such an important lesson for me though, because I think if I had not learned to be patient with myself, I would have quit training about one week into it!

It seems like just yesterday that I made the decision to do the marathon, and here I am now, just one month from it....hoping that I have trained enough, learned enough, and am ready to run the race! Boy, how much does that sound like every part of the journey of our lives? Transitioning from high school to college we wondered if we were ready, then from college to our first "real job"...each phase of our lives is really no different than preparing for a marathon...have we studied enough, listened enough, prayed enough, learned enough...So now, as I start the final weeks of preparation for this part of the journey, my hope is to feel confident that I have trained as I should and learned to listen to my body, and just enjoy then end of this part of the journey!!

No comments:

Post a Comment