Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Memorable moments in the journey

In thinking about my journey and what my next post(s) will be, I thought about some funny things that have happened during my journey...hope you enjoy!! (warning: some things were not really that funny when they happened, but I can laugh now...)

My famous comment to my brother, when he (i think half heartedly) suggested I start running was...."I have never seen a runner with a smile on his/her face so why would I want to do that"!! Now I run and smile and realize that there is a certain place you go when you are running....it is a place of focus and determination...not a place of unhappiness like I thought!!

My first 5k, my supportive husband (who had not even trained) decided to run with me.....hahaha.....here I am STRUGGLING, about to croak...and he is easily pouncing around beside me singing and beating his airdrums and playing his air guitar, and I am getting more and more angry by the moment!! Finally, I tell him "you are REALLY ticking me off....don't you realize how serious this is? Now go away and leave me alone to run by myself"....Needless to say, I now hum / sing, and play my air drums sometime while running....I even muster up a smile from time to time!! LOL

Already told you about the first bike ride incident...so I won't make you read that one again....but it was  funny!!

Another bike incident...my first really long bike ride was in Florida along a bike / running path, with a friend who lived near the path. I used one of her bikes because I did not have a bike rack. The bike I used was a CLASSIC Pee-wee Herman bike!!! We got several miles into the ride and she says...oh....forgot to tell you we have to go over a bridge.....(UH....incase you don't know I am terrified of heights!). So here it comes this HUGE walk over bridge with a very steep up and down ramp!!!! Did I say I was scared of heights???? So I had to push my bike up the ramp, walked it down the middle of the bridge, and down the down ramp. So we go another 12ish miles before we got back to this bridge and we are going to be strong and ride up the ramp....LOLLOLLOL....we made it about 2 pedals up and that was IT!! We were laughing so hard because our legs were so unsteady we could hardly push the bikes up the ramp. I did go out that day and buy a bike rack!! (Love ya Dawn!! haha)

We had just moved to NC and I went on a running adventure one day...without my cell phone  and NO water!! :o(. I was not familiar with our neighborhood and it was VERY hilly! What started out as a 2-3 mile run ended up being a 1.5 hour 6 mile trek trying to find my way back home!! At least I learned my way around the neighborhood!! I almost cried as I crawled up the front steps of the house!

From every moment in your journey, you either learn and grow or you ignore and stay stagnant!! I choose to learn and grow (and hopefully laugh along the way!!)

2 comments:

  1. Love reading this. I am so excited for you and I too am still searching with this running thing to find the joy and once in a while, I do smile ha! I think it is when I realize I have burned enough calories to eat pizza and ice cream LOL ;-) Keep it up girl - you are the Beast 2!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beast 1!! I am still in amazement that your tiny body could hold 5 pieces of pizza!!! haha....but I too sometimes have to think about all the calories burned in order to get my rear in gear and out the door!! :0)

    ReplyDelete